Freelance & Guest Posting
Deep South welcomes freelance articles and guest posting on the blog by both established and beginning writers who have a link to the South. If you have a story idea, event or subject you’d like to write about, please e-mail your query to email@example.com. Payment is discussed on an individual basis.
Deep South Magazine accepts original fiction, short stories and shorts, nonfiction and poetry. We do reserve the right to edit submitted works for length and clarity if necessary. We don’t currently offer compensation for submitted works. For that reason, we do accept previously published works and don’t put restrictions on future publishing of works that have been published with us.
Due to the volume of submissions we are receiving, please allow up to three months for response time.
1. All submissions must have a Southern connection, whether the author lives in the South, used to live in the South, has family in the South or was inspired by a visit to the region.
2. Submissions must be e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org clearly typed and in Microsoft Word format. We no longer accept submissions by snail mail.
3. Submissions must include the name of the author and a short bio about their background and work (please state your connection to the South here). If the work has been published elsewhere, the writer must disclose this information.
4. Poetry submissions can be up to five poems of any length. Fiction, short stories and nonfiction are limited to one work at a time and may not be longer than 3,500 words (can be an excerpt from a longer work).
5. Deep South reserves the right to reject any submission and does not accept pornography or works that do not meet the standards of the editorial quality of our magazine.