Deep South Magazine accepts original fiction, short stories and shorts, nonfiction and poetry during open reading periods. We do reserve the right to edit submitted works for length and clarity if necessary. We don’t currently offer compensation for works submitted for this section.
We are no longer accepting previously published works, but we will not put restrictions on the future publication of works that have been accepted by us.
In an effort to ensure the quality of our Southern Voice section, we will accept a limited number of submissions a year. Also, keep in mind that the seasonality of a submission can affect when it would be published.
For fiction and nonfiction, we will do special themed calls. Our next one will open in late spring 2022, so stay tuned!
For poetry, our reading period will be from January 1 through February 14. We will mainly publish poetry in April during National Poetry Month, so around 30 selections will be chosen.
Other requirements for Southern Voice:
1. All submissions must have a Southern connection, whether the author lives in the South, used to live in the South, has family in the South or was inspired by a visit to the region. Please specify in your e-mail or bio.
2. Submissions must be e-mailed to [email protected] Submissions must also be typed in a legible font and attached to the e-mail in Microsoft Word or a similar format; submissions pasted into the body of an email or attached as a PDF document will not be considered. We do not accept submissions by snail mail.
3. Submissions must include the name of the author and a short bio about their background and work (please state your connection to the South here). If you have a Twitter handle or author Facebook page, please include those links.
4. Poetry submissions can be up to five poems of any length. Fiction, short stories and nonfiction are limited to one work at a time and may not be longer than 3,500 words (can be an excerpt from a longer work).
5. Deep South reserves the right to reject any submission and does not accept pornography or works that do not meet the standards of the editorial quality of our magazine.