Last-Minute Gifts From the South
We still have a few gifts to buy and know most of you probably do too. Even though it’s the week of Christmas, you can still shop local and give a gift from the South!
1. “The Help” DVD – Available anywhere DVDs are sold, the movie version of Kathryn Stockett’s best-selling book has got to be the top gift for Southerners this year.
2. High Cotton Bow Tie – This North Carolina company announced they’re still shipping in time for Christmas today, so get the Southern gent on your list a cotton bow tie in tattersall, gingham or plaid.
3. Barnes & Noble Leatherbound Classic of “To Kill A Mockingbird” – We fell in love with this edition’s beautifully illustrated cover, part of B&N’s classics series that also includes authors Ernest Hemingway, Edgar Allen Poe, Mark Twain, Anne Rice and more. Find them at your local bookstore or order online today for free express delivery.
4. Jack Donnelly Khakis – This quintessential piece of the Southern wardrobe is both sturdy and soft. Khakis from Jack Donnelly are shipping to Georgia and surrounding states through Thursday, but ordering tomorrow (Tuesday) will ensure delivery in time for Christmas. *
5. Olive & Sinclair Gift Tin & Brittle – Olive & Sinclair’s Southern artisan chocolate is handcrafted in Nashville and arrives ready to wrap. They suggest getting orders in today if you want them for Christmas and offer free shipping on orders of $50 or more. *
6. Phickles Pickles – Based in Athens, Georgia, you can find Phickles Pickles at several spots there as well as Atlanta. Click here to view the full list. We suggest pairing them with a bottle of gin or bloody mary mix for the ultimate cocktail gift. *
7. Songbird & Twig Ornament – Pick up one of artist Robin Ferrill’s limited edition porcelain ornaments depicting churches in and around Georgia at Atlanta retailers Urban Cottage, The Mercantile or Erika Reade Ltd. *
8. Shortbread of the Month Club – There’s still time to sign up someone special for The Wheeling Chef’s cookie club. His handcrafted shortbreads, with flavors ranging from peach to bourbon pecan, will arrive on their doorstep each month. E-mail [email protected] or call 404-852-1768 to order.
9. Sucre Macaroons & Marshmallows – Available at Rouses and Wholes Foods markets throughout Louisiana, New Orleans shop Sucre’s confections make for a sweet stocking stuffer.
10. Viking Cooking School Gift Card – Give the gift of cooking this year with a gift card from your area Viking Cooking School. Gifts can be purchased by phone or in person at the school nearest you.
9. Southern Literary Trail App + iTunes gift card – In a shameless act of self promotion, we suggest giving an iTunes gift card along with download instructions for our Southern Literary Trail App. Any fan of Southern lit will appreciate our guide of everything from writers’ homes and literary landmarks to restaurants, bars and hotels.
10. Southern Read from the Deep South Fall/Winter Reading List – We’re proud to say that we’ve got several books under the tree this year and hope you do too. Our reading list is a great start to finding titles fit for anyone on your list!
* Deep South Gift Guide pick